Chicken Rolls with Asparagus and Mozzarella

The other day I walked into Fairway and right in front of me were these petite asparagus spears – they looked perfect for the chicken rolls that were dancing around in my head and with that, an impromptu recipe was born.  After picking up some thin chicken cutlets, I was ready to cook – I had everything else at home, making this an easy weeknight recipe that takes little thought, effort, or preparation.

CHICKEN ROLLS WITH ASPARAGUS AND MOZZARELLA

Ingredients

• 4 chicken cutlets, pounded thin and evenly
  • 1 bunch of asparagus
  • 1 tsp. olive oil
  • part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • non-stick cooking spray
  • salt and pepper, for seasoning meat
  • whole wheat bread crumbs

Chicken rolls w/ asparagus and mozzarella!

Directions

1. Sautee asparagus in olive oil until bright green. Set aside.
  2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  3. Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
  4. Pat chicken dry and lightly season with salt and pepper.
  5. Lay out chicken breast, arrange asparagus on top, and sprinkle with mozzarella.
  6. Roll chicken around asparagus and cheese; place seam down in baking dish.
  7. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
  8. Sprinkle whole wheat bread crumbs on top of chicken.
  9. Cook for approximately 25-30 mins* or until chicken registers 160/165 degrees with a meat thermometer.

That’s it – veggies plus protein in one fell swoop and a nice way to switch up chicken and vegetables! I suggest serving this with brown rice or cous-cous as a side to round out a nicely balanced meal that makes for a yummy, crowd-pleasing dinner and great leftovers.

This is also a solid base recipe – you could switch out asparagus for mushrooms or another veggie, use a different type of cheese, or even make mini flank steak roll-ups using the same concepts. Happy eating!

*October 31, 2012 update: It might take a little longer than 10 minutes to cook your chicken depending on the strength of your oven, size of cutlets, etc. Never consume raw or undercooked meat – always rely on a good meat thermometer to let you know when food is done!

*November 11, 2013 update: OK, OK, I have heard you all loud and clear – I changed the cooking time from 10 mins – I must have a magical oven or be totally inept at keeping time. Originally, I only cooked these for about 10 mins but the cutlets I used were really, really, really thin. So don’t eat raw meat, cook it long enough, and plan ahead accordingly.

Advertisements
Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

114 thoughts on “Chicken Rolls with Asparagus and Mozzarella

1. Danny says:

These look delicious and I love how they are presented! Thanks for sharing this!

2. This was absolutely DELICIOUS!

3. Jennifer says:

I will be trying this tonight!! Looks so yummy and I just started liking Asparagus!! 🙂

• Let me know how it goes! Modifications are welcome if you change anything – always looking for new ways to shake things up 🙂

• Jennifer says:

It went really great! My husband is the cook, so to make something that I didn’t mess up and he liked was really fulfilling! The only change I made was regular bread crumbs as he doesn’t like wheat anything. I think as wonderful as it was, next time I would like to drizzle a sauce or something over it.
        I truly truly loved it!! I am going to check out some other receipes you have! Thanks so much!!

• That’s so good to know! You made my day 🙂 Glad you liked it!

You got me thinking… I bet this would be good with some sort of Marsala sauce… maybe even put mushrooms in the roll-ups, too! I really liked this “light and healthy” recipe from “The America’s Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook” – https://betterbalancedlife.com/2012/04/24/light-healthy-chicken-marsala/.

• Becca says:

I used panko seasoned with garlic & lightly poured some melted garlic butter over it halfway through cooking. Ridiculously good recipe. Thank you!

• Yum! Those sound like some really great additions! Glad you enjoyed 🙂

4. Sarah says:

This was delicious! My chicken was not anywhere near done after only 10 minutes though. I baked mine for 30 minutes.

5. Debby Abel says:

I made this recipe and was very pleased, it was very flavorful, easy to follow and didn’t take much to make it. The only difference I made was I baked it longer because my chiicken was a little thicker, I covered the pan with foil for awhile. They were delicious

6. adrianna says:

I don’t have bread crumbs. Do you think the recipe would be OK without?

7. Jo camerana says:

This recipe looks good n soumds easy.

8. Haley says:

Im making these tonight, with sauteed zucchini spears inside. I skipped out on the mozzarella, since I didn’t have any, but am going to sprinkle some parmesan on top. Smells good so far! I also used oregano and garlic to marinate the chicken.

9. Stephanie says:

I did make these.. They were easy and delicious!! Thanks for sharing!!

10. Deb says:

I have been making this for years except also add a slice of Prociutto and feta crumbles instead of the motz cheese. Cook at 350 for 25 minutes.

11. Rebecca says:

Will be doing this for dinner tonight!

12. Izabel says:

Just made it.. So good !!!!

13. Liz says:

i had to bake for about 30 minutes.

14. Ann says:

Making these for a dinner party tonight!! Can’t wait to try them!!

15. Carey says:

I made some for dinner tonight, made two packs of chicken because I seen your comment about not having enough. Im glad I did my family of four ate them up! Only one left, my lunch for tomorrow 🙂 They are easy to make and very yummy… Thank you so much for sharing. I mixed some Mrs. Dash with the bread crumbs for added flavor.

16. […] of asparagus with the intention of just roasting it, but decided to try something new when I saw this recipe on Pinterest.  The oven roasted potatoes just seemed like they would compliment the asparagus […]

17. Gina says:

Delicious! I rubbed the inside of the chicken w/ butter, then put in asparagus and mozzarella, and added garlic, after rolling them up I poured some white wine on bottom of the dish for the chicken wraps to bake in, also mixed parmesan with bread crumbs, and added béarnaise sauce over top and served w/ rice! Thanks for the recipe!!!!!

18. Dhobson says:

They’re in the oven now!!! 🙂 I sautéed the asparagus in olive oil, butter and lemon juice…I have a thing for lemon butter. We will see…

I’m excited! Oh…yes, mine have been cooking for 15 min now, probably will be done in another 10.

Great recipe!

19. Amy says:

I made this last night, and my boyfriend loved itttt!! I did a cheese and breadcrumb mixture on top and it was amazing!!

20. Judy says:

This is a perfect Gluten Free Recipes….I just used GF bread crumbs. I also used coconut oil to saute the veggie in. Tastes so good.

21. […] isn’t a huge mashed potato eater), so I repurposed them again to serve alongside a very easy Chicken Rolls with Asparagus and mozzarella.  My chicken breasts took 25 minutes to cook, much longer than the 10 minutes the recipe calls […]

22. Jiun says:

I’m actually gonna try it with Ricotta cheese instead of mozzarella. Also instead of baking it, just pan frying only because my boyfriend’s mom doesn’t like anyone to use the oven.

23. Boyd Ronda says:

One more benefit of asparagus: It contains high levels of the amino acid asparagine, which serves as a natural diuretic, and increased urination not only releases fluid but helps rid the body of excess salts. This is especially beneficial for people who suffer from edema (an accumulation of fluids in the body’s tissues) and those who have high blood pressure or other heart-related diseases. :

Very latest content produced by our web portal
    <.http://www.healthmedicinelab.com/sma-syndrome/

24. Starla says:

These were so easy and so yummy!! I made then tonight, with some chicken i had marinated in ranch dressing for another recipe, then I found this one and tried it instead… Thank you !!

• So glad they came out well! It’s a standby in our house. Another reader suggested feta which I did last week and it was absolutely DELICIOUS. Served with a greek orzo salad and had leftovers for days. Thanks for posting!

25. Kim says:

Does asparagus stay crisp or does it get too soft from baking for 30 minutes?

• Hi Kim – I’ve never though the asparagus was too soft after baking. If you’re worried though, you may want to try grilling it first – my husband suggested that last time but I had already sauteed it. I think maybe he just wanted an excuse to turn on the grill after a long & cold winter! 🙂

26. Natalie says:

Um…. Delicious but am I missing something? I cooked them at 375 for 10 minutes and had to put them in about 3 different times til they were cooked through, each at an additional 10 minutes:(

• Hi Natalie – I think what happened when I made this recipe for the first time was that I used SUPER thing cutlets from the butcher. Like, obscenely thin. They cooked so quickly! I have heard from many others that they had to adjust cooking time. I put a disclaimer on there a few months back but I’ll make it clearer. Glad they were delicious!

27. Amber says:

I made this for dinner last night and it was a family hit! I did add fresh minced garlic to the asapargus while cooking and then added the olive oil and garlic to the top of the chicken before putting on the bread crumbs. FANTASTIC, thank you!

28. Kim says:

I made this dish last night. I was worried the asparagus would be overcooked. It was delicious and the asparagus was perfect! We all loved it and I will definitley make it again. I cooked mine for 20 minutes but I had large chicken breasts. I added garlic powder when I seasoned with salt and pepper.

29. Christina says:

Has anyone used fresh uncooked asparagus in their chicken? I’m looking to make a bunch of these and freeze them, but cooking the asparagus first will ruin them if I freeze and defrost.

• Hi Christina,

That’s a good question – I’m not sure! I don’t recall anyone mentioning freezing in the comments here and I haven’t tried it myself. You could always make the chicken without the asparagus, and serve it fresh on the side when you defrost the chicken?

30. […] Here is the recipe. I followed it almost to the letter. Except, that it calls for cooking the chicken for 10 minutes in the oven and it needs at least 20, possibly more, depending on how thick the fillets are. […]

31. Jen says:

Made this tonight and topped with French fried onions. It was excellent, my daughter even ate her asparagus.

32. shirley says:

I put roasted red peppers in mine – it was super delicious !

33. Shannon C. says:

Made this tonight, absolutely delicious!

34. Amanda N. says:

These are AMAZING!! My whole family loved them!! The only thing that I am going to do differently the next time I make them (tonight!!) is to use cut asparagus. The hubby said it would be easier to get all the ingredients together with each bite!!

• Good idea! I hadn’t thought of that. I’ve used both the mini asparagus and the regular-sized… couldn’t find the mini again, but it worked much better than the full-sized ones! Thanks for the feedback!

35. Cammie says:

I really improvised with this, but it went well! I used thick chicken breasts that I had to cut in half and large asparagus that I cut in half as well. I used buffalo mozzarella chunks, and I didn’t have bread crumbs, so I made a sauce out of butter, Parmesan, truffle oil and garlic powder. Instead of a baking dish, I used a baking sheet. Lastly, I used Trader Joe’s wild rice to go along with it. Everything turned out to be delicious! Thank you!

36. Laura says:

How many servings does it make? What is the nutritional analyses per serving? How do/can you freeze this? Could you grill this?

• Hi Laura –

I would say 1 chicken roll is 1 serving for most people, but in our house it’s more like 2 pp 🙂 I’ve never done a nutritional analysis on these, and I’ve never frozen them. I’m not sure the asparagus would freeze well – haven’t tried! I would say yes to grilling – the only thing I’ve found is that the mozz tends to ooze out the ends of the chicken rolls so that might be a little messier on the grill.

37. Tara Clary says:

im making these tonight for dinner… have them in the oven now… cannot wait to see how it comes out…

38. Jackie says:

This is the perfect crockpot recipe. Just put a little chicken broth at the bottom of the crockpot and cook on low. It will be ready when you get home from work.

39. Sheryl says:

I have these in the oven right now and the house smells AMAZING! We just signed on our new house last Monday and this is the first -real- dinner I’ve made. After a long day at work, I think my girlfriend might love me a little more when she eats these! =)

She LOVES bacon (don’t we all?), so I added a half a slice on top of the asparagus, used Italian panko breadcrumbs and added a little mozzarella and parmesan on top. I also secured mine with toothpicks to help them stay together. Serving these with garlic mashed potatoes and cheesy garlic biscuits.

40. […] Here is the recipe. I followed it almost to the letter. Except, that it calls for cooking the chicken for 10 minutes in the oven and it needs at least 20, possibly more, depending on how thick the fillets are. […]

41. Belen Oaxaca says:

I tweeked the recipe a bit and made the rolls with thinly sliced chuck steak. I also drizzled the rolls with garlic butter as a previous post suggested. My goodness, it was so delicious! Thank you for sharing! This is definitely going to become a household regular.

42. It sounds delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe. I’ll definitely try it out 🙂

43. Hannah says:

I added hummus on the outside. Love this recipe!absolutely delicious! Thanks for the recipe!!!:)

44. lori says:

Can’t wait to try this, I Like my chicken with a little dash of Worcestershire and I also like to add a little Parmesan cheese.

45. […] found a recipe on Pinterest for Asparagus Stuffed Chicken.  I loved the concept, but I’m not so good at the whole following directions thing.  So I […]

46. Michelle in SoCal says:

I made this tonight and it really impressed! I added some Trader Joe’s items (any Trader Joe’s in your area?): 21 seasoning salute to the asparagus and chicken, balsamic glaze both inside and out, and garlic in the asparagus. My family is officially obsessed! My 4 year old (who is very picky) asked for more! Success!

• approval from picky 4 y/o? amazing! so glad you liked it – and TJ is kind of far from us here, but I hear they are opening one nearby soon (ummmm NOT SOON ENOUGH!) – I will be stopping in as soon as they open and handing over like, all of my paycheck. Do you have any other product recs from there?

47. Lisa says:

made this tonight.. I used cubed chicken, pepper jack cheese, and added minced garlic to the sautéed asparagus.. heavily seasoned the chicken for flavor.. came out delish!!! Next time I want to try cubed steak, a hearty flavored cheese & sautéed mushrooms added in!

48. […] Chicken Rolls with Asparagus & Mozzarella (See original recipe here). […]

49. Desiree says:

Is there a calorie count or any type of nutritional information? 🙂 I’m dying to try this tonight, but I’ve been counting calories among other things to drop weight. So far its working great and I would love to be able to make and devour this!! 🙂

50. Lizi says:

I made these tonight and they were amazing. Easy to do and very delicious.

51. katelini says:

looks yummy!! I am going to try this…

52. Sarah says:

Can’t wait to try these. Planning on making them this week. Hoping my picking husband and daughter will love them!

53. Sarahc says:

Made these tonight! Yum!!! Subbed monterey jack for mozz. I didn’t have bread crumbs on hand so I smeared some dijon all over the outside of the chicken then cooked on a baking rack in a roasting pan so mustard coating crisped up on all sides. Delicious. Thanks (:

54. Ryan Howard says:

These are currently cooking in my oven – looking forward to trying them! One question: Where does one find thin chicken cutlets? I had no luck finding them, so I just used regular chicken breasts instead and cut them down to size. Definitely added more work to this recipe – I think I’d enjoy it more if I didn’t have to do as much! 😉

• Hi Ryan, I’m a majorly lazy cook so the thin cutlets are clutch for me 😉 I’ve been able to find them at Fairway and Stop & Shop – you might be able to ask your butcher to cut them thin for you? How’d it come out!?

55. Lizzy D. says:

Ove red or uncovered ? Foil?

56. Lizzy D. says:

Sorry meant is this meal covered with foil? Or baked uncovered?

57. Tamara says:

i made this for dinner tonight ! 👌
    Turned out amazing ! I added mushrooms and a few spices !
    Delishous ! Thanks for sharing this😬
    Will definitely be making this again, my two boys (3&1) devowered there’s ! 👌

58. Heather says:

I omitted the breadcrumbs (no carb here), added some roasted red peppers in the middle with the asparagus and mozzarella, topped with Italian seasoning and fresh grated Parmesan for the last 5 minutes of cooking. Then drizzled with some super thick balsamic. Sooooo delicious. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe! 🙂