I had a post all ready to go with a yummy recipe for quinoa stuffed peppers… and then Hurricane Sandy showed up. Nothing quite like a natural disaster to put everything into perspective, eh?
My family was lucky – while we don’t have power, we are all safe. Not everyone is in the same boat, and as the East Coast figures out what to do next, there are lots of things you can do to help – even if you are far away:
- Make a donation to the Red Cross
- Donate blood, if you are able, to help emergency services. Find out more here.
- Donate time to a local shelter – check your town’s website for more information about shelter locations.
- Donate clothes to the Salvation Army or Goodwill.
- Bring canned goods and other non-perishable food items to your local food bank.
- Offer to foster pets whose owners are in a shelter, or volunteer time at a local animal shelter.
- Look into local volunteer resources through your town/city hall.
What will you do to help? Leave a comment!