15 Tips by Trimester for First-time Pregnant Moms

The countdown is on – the final days are here! I’ve nested, prepped, packed, organized, re-organized, and been thinking and reflecting a lot. Over the last 40 weeks (and even some time before that) I received a lot of advice about being pregnant – some good, some terrible – but thought I would pay forward some of the most useful tidbits. So, here goes!

15 Tips for first-time pregnant moms

First Trimester

1. Find the right care provider for you.  Just because you’ve been going to the same OB for the last 10 years doesn’t mean they are a good fit for you and your baby. For us, we found great midwives and a hypnobirthing coach. They have made this whole experience 10,000 times better than I ever could have imagined. So, explore your options… and don’t feel guilty about it!

2. Don’t read pregnancy books (or internet discussion boards) that cause you anxiety. Sorry, What to Expect When You’re Expecting, but you are kind of scary. And Google? You are way too quick to lead me to believe that there is something majorly wrong with the little cramp I just felt “down there.” There is such a thing as too much information, and it’s really hard to avoid but… try to stay away. If you really think something is wrong, call your care provider before trying to self-diagnose.

3. Buy a nightlight for your bathroom. During the first and third trimesters I’ve spent more time peeing in the middle of the night than I can count; the overhead light in the bathroom was too jarring and I found it hard enough to navigate my way there without stepping on the dog, any of his toys, or walking into the wall half asleep. That little beacon of light coming from the bathroom has saved me many times… best five dollars I’ve spent!

4. Go easy on the maternity clothes. I mean, maternity pants are kind of amazing and I never want to wear anything with a normal waistband again but… save some money this trimester. Pick up very few essentials that you really need (for me, it was a pair of black maternity slacks and a new bra) and wear the hell out of them until you have a better idea of how your body is changing as you go.

5. Find your support system. Find family, friends, a new mom group, La Leche League, whatever works for you! Make a point to stay engaged, ask questions, and meet new moms. Having the support as you go through pregnancy and beyond is invaluable. As one of the midwives at the birthing center said, “When you grow babies together, you form lifelong friendships.” Truth!

Second Trimester

6. Go away – no, really! Whatever it is that will help you relax – time away with your partner, your friends, or just you… make a point to get away and enjoy it.

7. Cross major items off your to-do list. Get the nursery set, finish projects around the house, and tie up loose ends before third trimester exhaustion creeps up.

8. Take a childbirth class and learn about your rights as a patient and parent. The more you know, the better off you and your baby are during birthing and beyond. Decide what type of birth experience you want to have, learn everything you can about the procedures in place where you’re birthing (from what you can do during labor, what tools do they have available to help you, to what their procedures are for the baby after birth including tests, vaccines, etc.) and then decide if it’s a good fit for your family.

9. Sleep a lot (and write down your crazy dreams). Sleeping was one of my favorite parts of the second trimester – for me, I was still sleeping comfortably and wasn’t peeing as often as I was during the first or third trimester. And those crazy pregnancy dreams? Write them down and share them with people (if they aren’t too weird) because they are hilarious.

10. Back to those maternity clothes. It’s probably time to expand your wardrobe – see what you can borrow from friends or find second-hand; save your money to buy a really cute outfit for your shower or maternity photo shoot if you’re doing one. Other than the hand-me-downs I received, my go-to shopping spots for a few necessities (which I’ve worn to death) included the clearance racks at Macy’s, Target, and Kohl’s.

Third trimester:

11. Everything is harder on your body so celebrate the small victories – and ask for help. Honestly, I didn’t even feel that pregnant (other than my bout with morning sickness) until I hit the third trimester. All of a sudden everything was harder and I needed help with things… I hate asking for help. My low point came at the end of a long day at work when I found that I could not comfortably reach down to unclasp my sandals; I decided my small victory for the day was getting them on in the first place, and then sucked it up and asked my husband to reverse-Cinderella the shoes off my feet.

12. Savor the time your baby is in your belly… it’s almost over! I have felt nothing but amazement every time I feel the baby move (OK, and a little bit of discomfort during those kicks and punches to the cervix) or wake up and see that my belly has grown. It’s just SO cool! As excited as I am to meet the little guy or girl, I’m a bit sad that pregnancy is almost over. Baby is safe and always with you when they’re in your belly. It’s a special time – so take every opportunity you can to soak it in.

13. Put a waterproof pad underneath your fitted sheet. Your body will continue to do things that are out of your control, and you will appreciate the waterproof pad saving your bedding if your boobs leak/you pee yourself/your water breaks at night/etc. at any given point in time from here on out. After baby comes, use it for any and all of the inevitable messes you’ll be dealing with.

14. Stock up! It’s helped me mentally prepare for a big change knowing that I have easy-to-eat-with-one-hand meals in the freezer, ready to go, and that I’ve stocked the house with necessities and recommendations from friends like:

• Post-birth goodies: chux pads, maxi pads (yes, like the ones you used in middle school), mesh underwear (the least sexy underwear you’ll ever put on, or so I hear), Preparation-H wipes (in case that happens, again)
  • Baby essentials: diapers, wipes, shampoo, gentle laundry detergent, clothes
  • Kitchen goods: paper towels, dish soap, napkins, dried & canned goods
  • Bathroom supplies: toilet paper, shampoo, soap
  • Other important stuff: bottles of wine, cheese, updated netflix queue for middle-of-the-night feedings

15. Make a wishlist – plenty of people (family and friends, near and far) will ask what they can help with. Be ready with an answer (or two). Don’t be afraid to take someone up on their offer of walking the dog, throwing in a load of laundry, or even picking up a few things for you at the store. People want to help, but sometimes don’t know what to do so… help them help you and be ready with that wishlist!

If nothing else… enjoy every minute of your pregnancy – the easy days and the hard ones. This is just the beginning of a fantastic journey so keep a journal, take pictures, and savor it.

What did I miss? I know there’s more great advice out there from moms and mom-to-bes! Leave your advice in the comments!

Advertisements
Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

125 thoughts on “15 Tips by Trimester for First-time Pregnant Moms

1. Runt says:

I am a new mommy and I’m excited! Nervous, but excited! Thanks for the tips!

2. Natalie says:

I found out I am pregnant last night (first time) unplanned and unprepared! Little overwhelmed…but reading this brought a smile to my face 🙂 Thanks heaps for the awesome advise 😉

• That’s amazing news! Congrats!!! Stay in touch if you have any questions – I put up a few other pregnancy-related posts if you want to peruse, but have lots of info and advice to offer way above and beyond that. Looking back, after doing a lot of preparation myself, it was so easy to get caught up worrying about a lot of other things, but at the end of the day all that baby needs is you, your love, and a TON of diapers 🙂 have fun with it, enjoy your pregnancy, and stay in touch! It’s a wild ride!

3. Megan says:

I found out last week that I’m expecting! Mine was also unplanned and unprepared, but I have mixed emotions of shock and excitement! I’m feeling very overwhelmed right now but can’t wait for this adventure! Thanks for your tips! They are actual “real” tips and not just the “don’t drink alcohol” tips! Thanks again! 🙂

• Congrats! Great news – wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy. Glad the list was useful, that’s the goal! I found a lot of those “don’t eat soft cheese or booze your face off” lists which I didn’t find really helpful either. Keep an eye out – I am going to put together a list about “what I wish I knew about postpartum recovery” soon!

4. Megan says:

I’m 28 weeks pregnant with my first and I wish I found this list sooner! I regret running out and buying What To Expect When You’re Expecting immediately because it was so overwhelming. My husband had to hide the book so I would stop reading months ahead! And despite how bad I want this baby out of my belly and in my arms, it is a nice reminder to cherish the time I have left with her inside!

• Megan, congrats! You are almost in the home stretch and your baby is almost ready to meet you & your husband! How exciting!

Seriously – WTEWYE is a horrifying book! Wayyyy too much info and I’m glad I’m not the only one who had to “lose” it. While I was pregnant I found Penny Simkin’s “Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn” to be really helpful, simple, and not scary. I was surprised how basic it was but that makes sense! I’m also now loving Dr. Sears’ “The Baby Book” that the nugget has arrived. And if you plan on breastfeeding, “The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding” is like, the only book you’ll need – it’s fabulous!

I’ve got on my to-do list to put together a post with a list of just really honest (and not scary) things that happened to me after the baby arrived – I had trouble finding a straightforward one while I was pregnant. Keep an eye on it, subscribe if you’d like!

5. Nicole F says:

Another great place for maternity clothes is Burlington coat factory. Pair of comfortable, cute maternity jeans for $10 I think yes!

6. Bethany says:

My husband and I are expecting our first and second babies(twins!) in March. I’m 15 weeks tomorrow. Never thought of stocking up on kitchen and bathroom essentials! I did this before we were married to help us out a little, but I like the idea of doing it before the babies are born!

• Congrats!! Woohoo twins! Seriously… the more you stock up, the better! I haven’t bought toilet paper since before my daughter was born… almost four months ago 😛 I’m working on a guest blog post for another blog about all the “things no one told you that you’d need” after the baby (or in your case, babies!) arrives. I’ll share a link when it’s ready!

7. ashley says:

I’m 21 weeks along. My mom advised me (if I can afford it) to have someone come in and clean my house top to bottom because I will love coming home with new baby to a freshly cleaned house. I’m definitely considering that!

• Hi Ashley, congrats! This is great advice, and I wish we would have taken it before our daughter was born. TOTALLY do it if you can swing it! Have someone give your bathrooms a deep clean, and do all those really annoying things that have to get done (baseboards, etc.). You won’t regret it. In fact, see if they can keep coming back once the baby arrives for the first few months (even if it’s once a month!)

Good luck!!! Enjoy every minute – such a special time 🙂

• Ericka says:

This sounds like a fantastic idea!

8. Melissa says:

Congrats to all the first time moms! It’s wonderful and scary all at the same time. I would also suggest stocking up on breast pads. You will leak and it can be extremely embarrassing when it seeps through your shirt, in public! Your nipples may begin to leak in your last few weeks of pregnancy also, it’s better to be prepared! I am currently pregnant for baby #4 so I have worn my fair share!

• Hi Melissa, thanks for reading & sharing! That’s a great tip. I’ve already had momnesia and forgotten about a lot of that early leaking… yikes! Along the same vein, shirts with busy patterns can also help camouflage a leak and if worse comes to worse, I’ve always had a game plan of “spilling” water on my shirt if a leak gets out of control at work haha – haven’t had to do that yet but… I’m sure I will. Always keep my water handy. 😉 Congrats on #4 (and 3, 2, and 1!) – rock on mama!

9. Kamie B says:

This was really great stuff 🙂 I’m 15 weeks right now and this totally motivated me to get my place sparkeling clean! My pregnancy was half planned half unplanned. We just didn’t expect it to happen so fast! I really enjoyed reading this especially what you said about the book what to expect when you’re expecting. I totally just gave it away to my cousin who is pregnant because I was sick of all the horrible nightmares in there! Thanks again I feel better after reading this!

• Congrats!!! So exciting, I love babies! Glad you tossed the nightmarish stuff (just warn your cuz!) – honestly, this whole pregnancy and motherhood thing got a lot easier when I threw the books away and started going with my gut. (And there are some decent books out there, don’t get me wrong!) – good luck, and enjoy the pregnancy – it’s a wild, amazing, beautiful ride 🙂

10. Harmony K says:

Thank you. Just thank you for this.

11. Sara A says:

I am in my third trimester and really wish I would have found this list sooner, but thank you so much for the real life tips. I have found so many things about c-sections that is scary and overwhelming, but having a good doctor is also always helpful so they can reassure you of the good things. Also if you have any suggestions about being a birth mom or know someone who was and how they dealt with postpartum after the baby was with its family it would be helpful. Thank you again.

12. Sara A says:

Thank you so much for helping me out and finding those sites. Just knowing that I’ve made the best decision for my baby by seeing that I am not the only one in a similar situation has been helpful these past few days. Thank you.

• I am so happy to have been able to help, even if it was only a little! You most definitely are not alone and you are a strong, strong woman; giving the gift of a child to another family through surrogacy or adoption is beyond words amazing… I’m crying just thinking about how beautiful that is! Wishing you the best of luck and I’ll be thinking of you – if there’s anything else I can help with, don’t hesitate to email: betterbalancedlife@gmail.com

• Hi – I have been thinking about you often and wishing you well during your pregnancy. I read this post today on Birth Without Fear and wanted to share. The pictures are beautiful and speak volumes about the amazing gift this mother gave: http://birthwithoutfearblog.com/2013/03/13/surrogacy-for-two-dad-rare-purple-line-picture/ Hope you’re well!

• Sara A says:

Wow that was a neat story. It’s really hard to believe just how many women are out there who just want to use the gift they have to make another couples dream come true. The couple I am having a child for can’t have their own biological children and the wife cried when she came and heard her babies heart beat at my last OB appointment. It was an amazing thing to see. Thanks again for the posts to my question.

• You rock, seriously! What would you think about writing a guest blog post for the Lil Mamas community? Here’s the link – check out the other posts, just started discussion boards, etc. http://thelilmamas.com/ If you’re interested in sharing your story (anonymously or not!) about the amazing gift you’re giving this family… shoot me an email! betterbalancedlife@gmail.com.

13. set1208 says:

Great list!
    I have four kids and each pregnancy was just a wonderful gift. There were plenty of miserable days for sure, but overall, I was so grateful to experience all the things that come with pregnancy.

My favorite book, and one that I now gift to all of my newly-pregnant friends and family is “The Girlfriend’s Guide to Pregnancy” by Vicky Iovine. It is hilarious and full of great advice, and not as scary as What to Expect. She also has a follow up book called ” The Girlfriends Guide to the First Year”.

I will also suggest, though some may feel it’s wrong, but before I left the hospital each time, I would smuggle one of those washable bed pads (you’ll find out what they are if you don’t already know) that they use on your hospital bed. Our bodies make such a wild and unimaginable mess for a few weeks after we get home. They saved my linens countless times. After I was done with it, I’d slip it under the babies sheets to contain the wild messes that they made. I had no idea how explosive a tiny ten pound human could be.

Enjoy your pregnancies moms!

• Thanks, mama! Four, wow! May we all be as lucky as you 🙂 And those washable bed pads are AMAZING… right there with you on the smuggling 😉

• Kristen Zabriskie says:

My nurse helped me pack up with my third baby. She gave me lots of things to smuggle out, like extra pads, the throw up bags (Great to keep in cars for long trips and car sick kids or the extra stinky diapers), and the oh so attractive mesh underwear. If you have a really awesome nurse, you can ask for extras of everything disposable to take home!

14. Breanne says:

This is GREAT advise! I wish I would have seen it earlier in my pregnancy, I am currently 29 weeks along with my 1st and so not prepared yet for my baby to arrive! Thanks for all of the great tips it will definitely help me as I prepare for the baby!!

15. Erin says:

I found out a week ago that my hubby to be and I are expecting our first baby. I’m glad that I found this list because it has eased my mind on a lot of things granted I still get the new mommy to be nerves. I’m excited to have a piece of each of us growing in my body.

16. Rebekah Faith says:

Hey there! I’m 14 weeks pregnant and have a few suggestions! Although “what to expect when you’re expecting” can be a bit overwhelming, I read this amazing book called “pregnancy sucks!” Written by Joanne Kimes. It’s basically a comical guide on what to do when your body changes and you don’t like it! She even wrote an edition for the dads-to-be! Very helpful! Also, PREGGIE POP DROPS! A lifesaver when it comes to morning sickness! They are hard candies that taste like heaven and keep you from puking your guts up. I swear by these!

• Congrats! 14 weeks you are hopefully done w/ morning sickness and into the fun 2nd trimester! (they are all fun, who am I kidding?!) – will definitely have to check out that book and the pops – sound awesome! Have fun and enjoy 🙂

17. Toni says:

Hi. I’m almost 24 weeks with my husband’s and my first, a girl naming her Clara Belle. Wish i had found this list sooner. I have had a rough go of it unfortunately. Still getting sick, no energy, and an emotional basket case. In hoping that the third trimester is much better. I keep looking for my nesting stage but it has yet to show its head. Not only is your post helpful but some of the comments are as well. Thank you so much!

• Congrats, mama! All the aches & pains of pregnancy will be momnesia’d right out of your head as soon as you hold that beautiful Clara Belle! Sorry to hear you are still getting sick – have you tried taking B6? Helped me (or at least, I think it did). Ask your OB or midwife about it! You’re more than halfway…. and I’m cheering you on!

• OMG cutest name ever!! We are naming our girl Ollie haven’t settled on a middle name yet.

18. Cassondra says:

I just found out I was pregnant and decided to read up. I’m glad I came across this first! Thank you so much for sharing. I even bookmarked this on my phone. ♥

19. Sara says:

Do you have any ideas on things to help with recovery after a c-section and healing the scar?

• Hey Sara! No personal experience but what I have heard from other mamas is to give your body plenty of time to rest & heal. Don’t push it, and keep an eye on the incision and call the doc if anything looks or feels weird. As for the scar? One natural remedy and go-to is coconut oil! You can find it at a natural foods store near you! Congrats on the babe!

20. Sara says:

Thank you so much, you’ve helped me a lot already this is just great coconut oil is cheaper than the other stuff I was looking at.

21. Starr says:

I just loved this advise. I’m currently 7 weeks and am very excited that I found this list. I was going to go pick up What to Expect next week. Glad I read this first. Any tips on sleeping better? I literally get about 2-4 hours a night.

• Congrats!! So exciting 🙂 You are in for a fun ride! As for other books, I really liked “Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn” by Penny Simpkin and “The Other Baby Book” by Massaro & Katz. As far as sleeping… the snoogle pillow was my lifesaver, although I didn’t really start using it until my belly was bigger (maybe around 20 weeks?) It got me through the 2nd of my pregnancy as far as sleep, and I loved it so much I brought it with me to labor with haha! I also took a Hypnobirthing class which really helped me relax and the techniques I learned helped me fall asleep when I was having trouble sleeping. Good luck!

22. Carolyn says:

Thanks for the advice. Like some of the other girls who posted, I found out I am pregnant for sure 3 days ago. I found out early. I am only 5 weeks but very unprepared or planned. In fact, I was told because of rare medical issues and having gone through chemo, there was basically a 0% chance of me every being able to be a mom. I guess I’m trying to consider this more of a surprise than an accident. I’m supposed to get married a few days before my due date, so telling my friends and family is going to be a hard thing to do. Thanks for the helpful advice especially since I am considered a high risk pregnancy. Some advice out there isn’t so helpful. 🙂

• Congratulations! That is fantastic news. And I’m so glad the post was helpful to you. The world works in mysterious ways, and while it might seem like a lot now (pregnancy + wedding + you know, everything else), I know you will figure a way through it. I’m a HUGE fan of Birth Without Fear – they have a great blog & Facebook page. Check out all of the lovely birth stories, the I Am Strong campaign, and everything else they share (except, maybe, stay away from the “trigger” stories which are all well labeled) until after your babe arrives 🙂 http://birthwithoutfearblog.com/

23. Libby says:

We are in between homes (staying with family) and began trying. We thought “Eh who gets pregnant right away these days!” Guess what? We do! LOL I was so overwhelmed with joy when we say “pregnant” on the test and then the panic set it. What was a I doing, we don’t have a home, who do we think we are!?? Oh then the morning sickness began. Life in the past 5 weeks has been a rollercoaster, but I am 10 weeks this week and we are going for our first appointment to hear a little heartbeat. I read this blog post and it has helped so much! I have no idea what I’m doing. I really thought I did after watching a ton of kids and helping my cousins raise their babies. Guess what? No one talks about the pregnancies!! We decided not tell anyone until after our first appointment to make sure everything was ok and also hope we would have a closing date on our home so we didn’t feel quite like the irresponsible teenagers we feel like! HA. But that meant I have no one to talk to or ask if things are normal or not (my poor Midwife!) so blogs like yours has saved me from having a complete meltdown or thinking that something really strange is going on down there. Thank you so much. I’ll keep rereading this as I enter trimesters and continue following your blog.

• Congrats!!! Love good news like this! And everything will fall into place – you will figure out all of the details and look back on this time and laugh at how crazy it all was! Good luck with the pregnancy, I hope you feel well and enjoy it. Two mama sites that are my fav: http://thelilmamas.com/ and http://www.pregnantchicken.com/. And you’re right – no amount of childcare experience or nieces and nephews can really prep you for the mindblowing experience of pregnancy and motherhood! But, you learn that the hard way, right??? 😉

24. Mnissen says:

Great advice 🙂 first time expecting for me.. I found out a week ago. Im excited and scared at the same time just maybe worried financially. I’m so tired All the time just wondering if anyone has any advice for major fatigue during the first trimester? Plus I feel sick towards any strong smell, is there any way I can dull it down? My mum suggested essential oils but I can’t stand any aroma, food even toothpaste makes me sick :/ can’t believe I’m finding it hard already lol, I would love to hear how easy it is or at least that it’s not that difficult to go through a first time pregnancy 🙂

• Congrats!!! So very exciting. Everything will work itself out – save as much $ as you can now and you will make it work somehow! Perhaps someone else on the comment string has some advice for the nausea… I was sick until about 9/10 weeks and then it subsided (but it was horrible). I ate a lot of saltines and stayed away from strong smells! as for the fatigue – listen to your body and rest. it’s making a BABY right now! that’s hard work 😉 Good luck!

25. Monica says:

Great advice, I just found out that I am pregnant and am overwhelmed but very excited. Your article had really great information for first time moms like me and appreciate the advice.

26. Emma atkinson says:

I’m a midwife and would like to say well done on the practical advice…..always ask your professionals if you are worried and dont spend too much money ……stocking up at home is sensible….I always suggest visitors bring cleaning equipment or a casserole when they visit

27. jadore says:

I am a first time mommy to be..I found out I was expecting two weeks ago and since then I’ve been looking for some good advice and thank God for you ive been allowed to find it…Im very nervous but very excited…you really eased my mind…thank you so much…

28. Emily says:

Hey everybody I just have to say that I love this post. My fiance and I have been TTC for the last two months and I’m two days late for my monthly. Hoping that positive test comes through next week to explain all the weirdness. This will be our first baby.

29. mumzone says:

For a first-time mom, the world of parenting can be overwhelming and magical at the same time. These all are amazing tips, tricks and advice to help navigate through the amazing journey called parenthood.

30. JimmysMom says:

I liked your tips but I have to disagree with you about the Book What to Expect When You Are Expecting. As a first time mom I found it very useful and helpful I think too many people read way too much into what information is there and I know everyone is different and so id every pregnancy but I found the book more helpful than the internet, you have to be careful what you read anywhere. It became very useful in the complications I have experienced in my pregnancy without overwhelming me.

31. Kylie N says:

I am not pregnant nor will I be for years but I’m a girl and we love to read/know important things in life like this! (at least for me) 🙂 I enjoy picturing a pregnancy even if it’s imaginary! I will get my happiness one day. 🙂 Anyway, thanks for the tips. Be sure to use them when the big day comes.

32. Stephanie says:

Thank you so much for this helpful list!! 3rd pregnancy here but first being able to carry!! (Fingers crossed) Totally unplanned and unexpected this time lol 😄 read that WTEWYAE my first time and was terrified!! My husband hid it from me!! These tips are way better than the things I read in that book!! Again thank you so much!!

33. Emily says:

I just found out that I’m expecting but I have no idea when my due date is. Has anybody else had negative tests but been pregnant after having an IUD? Very excited about baby. Fiance is over the moon. Thanks for the post. I absolutely love it.

34. Danielle Dryburgh says:

I took my pee test yesterday and it came back positive. I’m a first timer and I’m also flying solo so it’s terrifying but I know I’ve never wanted to do anything else as much as I’ve wanted to be a mum. Thank you for your encouraging words and down-to earth advice. You and all your followers are blessings to people like me xx

35. Jordan says:

I am a first time mommy and 20 weeks pregnant! This list was super helpful. I have heard so many bad things about WTEWYE that I decided not to even spend my money on it. I opted for Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth. I am so glad I chose to read that instead! The book inspired me to go for a natural birth and made me way less scared about what is going on with my body.

36. gaby darling says:

I am at 32 weeks at the moment! I loved reading this post! I also bought WTEWYE – it was as you say overwhelming and just way too serious! I much preferred the movie! At least that was more realistic! I have really enjoyed every second of my pregnancy & I’ve REALLY had it easy…the only “symptom” I’ve had is the horrid heartburn that popped it’s head out in the 1st trimester and again now in the 3rd. Other than that I’ve had NO morning sickness and no swelling (yet!). I have had the sadness related to baby not being in my belly anymore in just a few days time (47 to be exact!) but I know that my little boy will be so well loved! The support I’ve had during my pregnancy is completely overwhelming! I CAN’T WAIT!!! Anyway…thank you for this post! It’s nice to see a more positive outlook on what to expect! Some of the other blog posts tend to dwell on the very negative aspects of pregnancy and it really doesn’t help. It’s nice to have a balanced outlook on it! x

• Hi! Congrats! This is so lovely to read. You are on the cusp of some of the most amazing days of your life. Mamahood is amazing and hard and so flipping rewarding! Stay in touch. Enjoy that baby!

37. Crystal says:

Hiya, I found out I was pregnant 3 weeks ago and am currently sitting on 13 weeks. This is my first pregnancy and is also unplanned so I’ve been a little overwhelmed by it all. I have read a few blogs with tips or life-hacks to help during pregnancy and I have to say that yours is by far the most extensive and most helpful. Thank you! You’re a star!

38. Cassie says:

I’m 33 week and 2 days and I REALLY wish I’d found this a LOT sooner! The third trimester list was helpful, although most of these things I’ve found out the hard way by now. (I can’t see my toes… or anything above my knees… invest in a wax my dear friends….)
    Anyway, I’m excited to be a mommy but nervous as all get out to have to ask for things! Knowing that it’s normal and that it will happen whether or not I’m willing to admit I need the help is reassuring to a point. Little man joins us on this side of the womb in 48 days according to the Dr. and much fewer than that if I get any say at all 😉
    Also my first, also completely unplanned and unprepared. This pregnancy has been a hot mess!!!
    I would add a note about morning sickness, if you struggle badly, please for the sake of God keep some crackers in the nightstand drawer. Eat a few before you sit up and you may not be so violently ill ALL the time. I spent my first 4 months with my head hung in the toilet. Tragic.

39. Marissa says:

My husband and I are trying to have a baby now and I’m so thankful that I read this! It makes me much less nervous about pregnancy!!

40. nikki says:

Hello, I love your post. I am a first time expecting mom and I
    totally agree with you. You are so on point when you say don’t read the blogs and the book what to expect…… that book scared the hell out of me however it did have some good points. Anywhooo thank so much for your tidbits 🙂 very helpful. oh and thanks for reminding me to enjoy my experience.

41. […] 15 Tips by Trimester for First-time Pregnant Moms | … – I’m 28 weeks pregnant with my first and I wish I found this list sooner! I regret running out and buying What To Expect When You’re Expecting immediately because …… […]

42. Melissa says:

Thank you so much for this post. It’s really helpful and positive/encouraging.

I am 8 weeks and it’s very scary and exciting. I am 30y.o. so we thought it might take a while for me to fall pregnant, but it happened first time. So while it was planned we didn’t plan on it happening so soon. We are thrilled though!

Anyway for any other international readers out there; it is really important to find a pregnancy book written for your country. I am reading “Up The Duff” by Kaz Cooke. Australian author with information specific to our health care system etc.

43. lthorngren89 says:

My fiancé & I just found out the other night (with the at home tests, 4 of them with the same result) that we are pregnant with our first. Little shocked at first, but now that the initial shock has come & gone we are extremely excited to travel on this journey together.
    Reading this article has helped ease my mind quite a bit & I have this bookmarked so I can come back & re-read it.

44. Leanne says:

I found out somebody somewhere, maybe it’s my baby daddy, maybe it’s the female nurses, one of them must be lying to me and now i’m one of those lovely ladies that’s stuck being pregnant, without the paper-work. To top it off this is my first blessing. 🙂 I just wish my husband would cheer up. He keeps talking about how he wants a big family, and now I have one child with him, and he acts like he’s pregnant. Were trying to work as a team here. But once again, moms gotta do everything right? lol j/k.

What makes it even tougher on us is that he’s an older man. I’m a younger woman. It’s rough on us but were trying I guess.

Wish us luck! and pray for us.

45. Blue Buddha says:

Pregnant with my 2nd and I love reading “first time mom” stuff to see what others say. Lots of it is still way too much, but this list is really concise and accurate. And even for 2nd time moms, there’s some new stuff to consider—especially the sheets! Had never thought about that.

46. Lela Cheatham says:

I am currently trying to get pregnant! My husband and I have been together 6 years, and married 2. We have waited a long time to finally try! We just got our first house! We have been living the apartment life until now so we have finally decided we are comfortable enough to start! I think I may be pregnant already, but I don’t know for sure. It may just be my mind playing tricks on me, but I am so excited and happy, yet so nervous! There are so many things that you don’t hear about or that you do hear about and it terrifies you! Anyways, thank you for these tips! They will prove very helpful once we are successful 🙂

47. Jennifer Montgomery says:

For 8 years I thought I couldn’t have kids and I just found out Wednesday I’m pregnant! We are more then ecstatic! These tips are very helpful and if you have more please point the way. 😉 and any ideas on cool baby names? Thanks

❤ my God's little blessing

48. Michelle says:

We found out we we unexpectedly pregnant back around Thanksgiving despite being on birth control and what not. It took me a bit to adjust to the idea that this was all happening, but now that it’s almost over (I’m 30 weeks today) I’m a little sad that the time has flown so quickly. I agree completely with savoring it while you have…the moves and the kicks are amazing and I’m finally loving the changes to my body (Stretch marks included). It’s a big accomplishment to carry a little human inside your body, but it is hard to ask for help. My husband is so understanding, but I’m not so easy on myself. Thanks for the post!

• Michelle! I’ve been a bad blogger lately and haven’t signed in… and seeing all these wonderful comments about pregnant mamas makes my heart so happy! you posted this 4 moths ago so i’m sure you’ve had the baby by now! how’s it going?

49. Rita Durand says:

Hi thanks for the tips 😆 I just found out this morning that I’m pregnant for the first time! My husband and I have been trying to conceive for the past 9 years and it has been the hardest thing I’ve had to deal with in my whole life! Also, I have pcos which is why it’s been this difficult. I’m so grateful now that I can just be happy and enjoy the pregnancy until my beautiful baby girl or boy arrives 😘 thanks again xo

50. Elisabeth says:

I’m 7 or 8 weeks pregnant now and found this post on pinterest. It’s short but has great tips 🙂 I read through all the comments and I feel like I’m the only one, this is my third pregnancy. I had a miscarriage at 10 weeks a few years ago, before getting married. A few months ago was my second miscarriage, at 6 weeks. This time I’m feeling nauseous and we’ve already had an ultrasound, so this time around it seems like things will actually work out. I’ve finally been able to relax enough, but I’m still really nervous about miscarrying again. It’s crazy to think I could really actually have my own baby next year! I’ve been wanting this for so long.

51. Amanda says:

Could you recommend something that is good to read? I’m going to have my baby in January and I feel like I don’t know enough, but everything I read and hear scares me to death. Why do people share horror stories instead of uplifting ones to pregnant women?!

52. Veronica says:

Really great tips. I too just found out this morning. First time mommy, but I’m glad to have these tips around! Thank you! & Congratulations to all the new mommy’s out there! This is one hell of a journey! ♡

53. Shalonna A. says:

One thing that is helping me through my first time pregnancy is staying dehydrated – After getting freaked out by the ingredients listed on bottled water, I recently purchased a filtering water bottle that I carry around 24/7. This is great because I cut the cost of water, lessen the amount of bottles around the house (you’ll have plenty of other bottles to deal with later), and you can fill it up at your sink or any water fountain and the filter takes care of the rest. Plus, it’s helping to cleanse my system and is giving my skin an extra glow.

54. Portia says:

Thank you for these tips. I’m at 35 weeks, and the exhaustion has definitely set in along with the pregnancy brain. I keep meaning to get all these things done, but then I can’t remember what I am working on.

55. Allison says:

I’m 15 weeks along with my first and this list was great! Helps out things in perspective and plan but not rush the fun and exciting parts either.
    Thanks for tips!!

56. Jacki says:

Thank you! I just found out yesterday that i am 6 weeks along. I had a suspicion but the doctor confirmed it 🙂 its amazing for me to be here. I have pcos (polycystic ovary syndrome) and was told it would be difficult. My nausea is definitely brutal at the moment lol but im excited regardless. Thank you for this. 🙂

57. Queen Johnson says:

Hi.. I just felt so much relief reading your post just now. I’m a first time mom, I’ve just found out yesterday that I’m pregnant…. I’m sooooooo scared simply because 6 months ago I was pregnant and I ended up having to have surgery to terminate the pregnancy because it was in my tube (right). Which ended up being removed also because I was 7 wks. And now finding out that I’m pregnant again I’m super excited but terrified all at the same time. Because of my last experience being pregnant. I’m 28 years old and I’m afraid but calm, because this time every thing feels completely different, as if this time the baby is in the right place even though when I had both u/s they couldn’t see anything. And from what the nurse said im way way to early to see anything but still I’m nervous. Reading this just made me feel better and you are so right. Google is a big no no. Lol, but I thank you for writing that. It really put me at ease.. Baby dust to all the expecting mommies to be..

58. Olivia says:

This blog calmed me down a bit, just found out today that I am expecting. Unplanned and no prepared one bit but an empty bedroom. This tips are very calming and help first time moms!

59. Diamond says:

I just found out last week I’m pregnant. Unplanned, unprepared, and very scared. I loved reading eveything you shared still feels like so much. I still live in the barracks and that makes it a little bit more tricky to prepare for. Thanks you Eveything and anything else you have to share id love to hear and read.

60. Marilynn says:

I just found out. Unplanned, unprepared, scared to hell!

But reading this helped a little. Still scared to hell though. 😁