If you are looking for the perfect summer salad, look no further. This tasty Chicken and Lemon Summer Salad is a gem – it’s crisp and refreshing, great to bring to a BBQ, and won’t leave you with the remorse of having indulged in one too many hot dogs.
Preparing this dish is a lot of fun – the zesty yellow lemons, bright and cheerful peppers, and aromatic cilantro all scream summer. Not to mention, all those fresh ingredients make the kitchen smell great without having to even turn on the stove!
I found the original recipe in a cookbook I picked up called Cooking Light Chicken Tonight! and I didn’t change much except added more cilantro (seriously, I’m obsessed) and included orange peppers to the vegetable mix. Helpful hint: to yield more juice from the lemons, microwave them for 30 seconds before juicing.
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1/2 cup each: red, yellow, orange bell pepper strips
- 1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) slices zucchini
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- To prepare chicken, combine the first 4 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken to bag, and seal. Marinate in the refrigerator 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Prepare grill.
- Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. Place chicken on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 6 minutes on each side or until done. Cool completely; cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- To prepare salad, cook peas in boiling water 30 seconds. Drain, and rinse with cold water. Drain. Combine peas and all remaining ingredients in a large bowl; add chicken, tossing to combine.
- Place 1 3/4 cups chicken salad on each of 4 plates. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.