Quick post to share a new go-to recipe! I love zucchini… I love cheese…. so when I saw a pin for an “Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake,” I was immediately sold. I modified the original recipe (which you can find in this post on www.kalynskitchen.com) by adding olive oil and I didn’t use basil. I think it really comes down to a matter of preference, including (or not including) EVOO or basil won’t make or break this dish. It’s a great side – I served it with baked chicken – and it held up alright overnight in the fridge.
Enjoy! And stay tuned for a couple new recipes that I plan on posting in the next couple of weeks that I discovered on a recent trip to Maine including a delicious black bean & corn salad and a scandalously decadent chocolate cake!
- 2 medium-sized zucchini, sliced
- 2 medium-sized yellow squash, sliced
- 2 T thinly sliced green onion
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup low-fat Italian cheese mix
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray an 8″ x 8″ baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Combine zucchini and squash in large bowl with olive oil, green onion, thyme, garlic powder, and 1/2 cup of cheese. Mix until well-combined and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into baking dish and bake for 25 minutes, or until zucchini is almost done.
- Remove from oven and add remaining cheese on top; return to oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and zucchini cooked through.